Irish Surname - Bohan
The Irish surname Bohan (or Bohane) is an anglicized form of the Gaelic name "Ó Buadhacháin". It is believed to have originated in the province of Connacht in the west of Ireland. The name is derived from the Gaelic word "buadhach", which means "victorious" or "triumphant". The name therefore likely originally referred to someone who was victorious in battle, or who was known for their success in some other endeavor.
The Bohan family was historically associated with County Roscommon in Connacht, and there are still many people with the surname Bohan living in Ireland today. The name has also spread to other parts of the world, particularly the United States and Australia, where many Irish immigrants settled and brought their family names with them.
Famous People with surname Bohan
- Brian Bohan - an Irish hurler who played for the Limerick senior team
- Brian Bohannon - an American football coach and former player
- Colleen Bohan - an American actress
- John Bohannon - an American journalist and former professional basketball player
- Maeve Binchy (née Bohan) - an Irish author, playwright, and columnist
- Michael Bohan - an Irish artist and illustrator
- Patrick Bohan - an Irish rugby union player
- Paul Bohan - an Irish footballer who played for Leeds United
- Peter Bohan - an American journalist who covered the Kennedy assassination
- William Bohan - an Irish-born recipient of the Victoria Cross.
Variations of the surname Bohan
Bohane, Bowhan, Bohaneen, Bohen, Bohun, O'Bohan, O'Bohane, O'Boyhan
Bohan Coat of Arms
A silver shield with a red chevron between three black boar heads.
"Fide et Fortitudine" - " fidelity and fortitude"
There is often limited information available on a specific coat of arms and motto for an Irish surname. Sometimes there are many variations, sometimes none, we have compiled a representative, but by no means exhaustive, selection. Please visit our Coat of Arms and Motto page for more information.
DNA And Your Irish Roots
- DNA and your Irish Heritage
- DNA, Discovery and Functions
- Types of DNA tests
- DNA testing companies
- Y-chromosome and Father's Ancestral Line
- Mitochondrial DNA and Mother's Ancestral Line
- DNA and Ethnicity