Irish Surname - Boland
The Irish surname Boland derives from the Irish Gaelic name Ó Beólláin, which means "descendant of Beóllán".
The personal name Beóllán is derived from the Irish word "beól", meaning "mouth" or "lip". It is believed that Beóllán may have been a nickname for someone with a prominent or distinctive feature around their mouth or lips.
The surname Boland is most commonly found in the province of Munster, particularly in counties Tipperary and Waterford, but it is also found throughout Ireland and in Irish diaspora communities around the world.
Famous People with surname Boland
- Eavan Boland - an Irish poet and professor
- Mary Boland - an Irish-American stage and film actress
- David Boland - an Irish politician
- Kevin Boland - an Irish politician and former TD
- Joe Boland - an Irish hurler who played for the Kilkenny senior team
- Jim Boland - an American football player
- Tim Boland - an American soccer player
Variations of the surname Boland
Bolan, Bolandt, Bouland, Boulland, Bolander, Bolend, Bolland
Boland Coat of Arms
Black shield with three silver fleurs-de-lis, and a gold chief featuring a red lion passant.
"Fortitudine et Prudentia" which means "With fortitude and prudence"
There is often limited information available on a specific coat of arms and motto for an Irish surname. Sometimes there are many variations, sometimes none, we have compiled a representative, but by no means exhaustive, selection. Please visit our Coat of Arms and Motto page for more information.
DNA And Your Irish Roots
- DNA and your Irish Heritage
- DNA, Discovery and Functions
- Types of DNA tests
- DNA testing companies
- Y-chromosome and Father's Ancestral Line
- Mitochondrial DNA and Mother's Ancestral Line
- DNA and Ethnicity