Irish Surname - Cagney
The Irish surname Cagney is derived from the Gaelic name Ó Céagáin, meaning "descendant of Céagán". The name Céagán is derived from the Gaelic word céag, meaning "thorn".
The surname Cagney is most commonly found in County Cork in Ireland, although it can also be found in other parts of the country. It is also found in countries such as the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, where many Irish immigrants settled.
Famous People with surname Cagney
- James Cagney: an American actor and dancer, best known for his roles in classic films such as "Public Enemy", "Angels with Dirty Faces", and "Yankee Doodle Dandy".
- Pat O'Cagney: Pat O'Cagney is a fictional character from the British television show "Holby City".
Variations of the surname Cagney
- Cagney: This is the most common variant of the surname Cagney, found throughout Ireland and the world.
- Kegney: This variant of the surname Cagney is most commonly found in County Cork and surrounding areas.
- Keegney: This variant of the surname Cagney is also found in County Cork and surrounding areas.
- Cagnie: This variant of the surname Cagney is most commonly found in the United States, particularly in the state of Louisiana.
- Keagnee: This variant of the surname Cagney is also found in the United States, particularly in Louisiana.
Cagney Coat of Arms
The Cagney coat of arms features a red shield with three gold lions passant guardant. Above the shield is a silver helmet and a gold torse, or twisted wreath of cloth, representing the knightly virtues of honor and loyalty.
Cagney MottoThe motto on the coat of arms is "Non providentia sed victoria", which translates to "Not by foresight but by conquest".
There is often limited information available on a specific coat of arms and motto for an Irish surname. Sometimes there are many variations, sometimes none, we have compiled a representative, but by no means exhaustive, selection. Please visit our Coat of Arms and Motto page for more information.
DNA And Your Irish Roots
- DNA and your Irish Heritage
- DNA, Discovery and Functions
- Types of DNA tests
- DNA testing companies
- Y-chromosome and Father's Ancestral Line
- Mitochondrial DNA and Mother's Ancestral Line
- DNA and Ethnicity