Irish Surname - Cassidy
The Irish surname Cassedy, also spelled Cassidy and Cassiday, originates from the Gaelic name "Ó Caiside," meaning "descendant of Caiside." The name is believed to have originated in County Fermanagh in Northern Ireland, but it is also found in other parts of the country, such as Counties Cavan, Longford, and Monaghan.
The name Cassedy and its variations can be found in other parts of the world as well, particularly in the United States, Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom.
Names of famous people with the surname Cassidy
- Patrick Cassidy - an American actor and singer who has appeared in numerous Broadway productions, films, and television shows.
- David Cassidy - an American actor, singer, and songwriter who became a teen idol in the 1970s.
- Katie Cassidy - an American actress known for her roles in the television shows "Arrow" and "Gossip Girl."
- Shaun Cassidy - an American actor, singer, and television producer who was a teen idol in the 1970s.
Variations of the Irish surname CassedyCassidy, Cassedy, Casady, Casedy, Cassedy, O'Cassidy, and O'Casedy.
- Cassidy - the most common variation of the surname Cassedy, found primarily in Ireland and the United States.
- Cassiday - a variation of the name commonly found in the United States, particularly in the Midwest and the South.
- Cassedy - a less common variation of the surname, found primarily in Ireland.
Coat of arms and motto of the Irish surname Cassedy
The Cassedy family crest features a shield with three gold lions on a blue background, representing strength and courage. Above the shield is a knight's helmet and a crown, symbolizing nobility and honor.
The Cassedy family motto, "Fac et Spera," translates to "Do and hope." This motto reflects the idea that success is achieved through hard work and perseverance.
There is often limited information available on a specific coat of arms and motto for an Irish surname. Sometimes there are many variations, sometimes none, we have compiled a representative, but by no means exhaustive, selection. Please visit our Coat of Arms and Motto page for more information.
DNA And Your Irish Roots
- DNA and your Irish Heritage
- DNA, Discovery and Functions
- Types of DNA tests
- DNA testing companies
- Y-chromosome and Father's Ancestral Line
- Mitochondrial DNA and Mother's Ancestral Line
- DNA and Ethnicity