Irish Surname - Cusack
Origin of the Irish Surname Cusack
The Irish surname Cusack originates from the Gaelic name "Mac Iosóig," meaning "son of Joseph." It is most commonly found in County Meath and surrounding areas in the Leinster province of Ireland. The name has also spread to other parts of the world, including the United States, Canada, and Australia.
According to the Irish Times, as of 2011 there were 1,954 people with the surname Cusack living in Ireland, making it the 911th most common surname in the country.
Famous People with the Surname Cusack
- Cyril Cusack: an Irish actor known for his roles in films such as "Odd Man Out," "The Day the Earth Caught Fire," and "Far and Away."
- Sinead Cusack: an Irish actress known for her roles in "Stealing Beauty," "V for Vendetta," and "Eastern Promises." She has also appeared in numerous stage productions in the UK and Ireland.
- Niamh Cusack: an Irish actress known for her roles in "Heartbeat," "The Bill," and "Silent Witness." She has also appeared in numerous stage productions in the UK and Ireland.
- Sorcha Cusack: an Irish actress known for her roles in "Father Brown," "The Bill," and "Casualty." She has also appeared in numerous stage productions in the UK and Ireland.
- John Cusack: an American actor known for his roles in films such as "Say Anything...," "High Fidelity," and "Grosse Pointe Blank."
Variations of the Irish Surname Cusack
- Mac Iosóig: the original Gaelic form of the surname Cusack.
- Cusach: a variation of the name found in the Scottish Highlands.
- Cusick: a variant of the name found mainly in the United States and Canada.
Coat of Arms and Motto of the Irish Surname Cusack
The Cusack coat of arms features a red shield with three gold lions, and a gold chief with a black rampant lion. The motto "Crom aboo" is written on a ribbon below the shield, which translates to "Victory to Crom." The meaning of "Crom" is not entirely clear, but it is believed to be a reference to a mythical Irish hero.
There is often limited information available on a specific coat of arms and motto for an Irish surname. Sometimes there are many variations, sometimes none, we have compiled a representative, but by no means exhaustive, selection. Please visit our Coat of Arms and Motto page for more information.
DNA And Your Irish Roots
- DNA and your Irish Heritage
- DNA, Discovery and Functions
- Types of DNA tests
- DNA testing companies
- Y-chromosome and Father's Ancestral Line
- Mitochondrial DNA and Mother's Ancestral Line
- DNA and Ethnicity