Irish Surname - Deegan
The Irish surname Deegan has its origins in the Gaelic name Ó Duibhginn, derived from "dubh" meaning "black" and "gean" meaning "birth" or "offspring". The Deegan surname is primarily associated with the province of Leinster in Ireland, with particular concentrations in counties Laois and Offaly. Deegan families also later spread to other parts of Ireland and the world as a result of migration and the Irish diaspora.
Famous People with the Surname Deegan
- Brian Deegan is an American professional freestyle motocross rider and racing driver. He is a founding member of the Metal Mulisha and has won multiple X Games medals in various motocross and rally car racing events.
- Hailie Deegan is an American professional stock car racing driver and the daughter of Brian Deegan. She has made history as the first female driver to win a race in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series West and continues to compete at a high level in motorsports.
- Mick Deegan is a former Irish Gaelic footballer who played for the Dublin senior football team. After his playing career, he became involved in coaching and team management, contributing to the success of the Dublin football team.
- Max Deegan is an Irish professional rugby union player. Born on January 12, 1997, in Dublin, Ireland, Deegan primarily plays as a back-row forward. He has represented Ireland at various age-grade levels and has played for the senior national team as well. Max Deegan is known for his athleticism, ball-carrying skills, and work rate on the field. He has played for the Leinster Rugby team in the United Rugby Championship and European Rugby Champions Cup, contributing to the team's success in both competitions.
Variations of the Irish Surname Deegan
- Deegan: The original and most common variation of the surname.
- Deagan: A phonetic variation of the original surname, occurring due to regional dialects and pronunciation differences.
- O'Deegan: The prefix "O" was often added to Irish surnames, signifying "descendant of" or "grandson of".
Coat of Arms and Motto of the Irish Surname Deegan
The coat of arms associated with the Deegan surname features a silver shield with a black chevron between three black boar heads. The crest displays a silver boar passant, signifying bravery and perseverance. The Deegan family motto is not readily available, as Irish families often did not adopt mottos in the same way as their British counterparts.
There is often limited information available on a specific coat of arms and motto for an Irish surname. Sometimes there are many variations, sometimes none, we have compiled a representative, but by no means exhaustive, selection. Please visit our Coat of Arms and Motto page for more information.
DNA And Your Irish Roots
- DNA and your Irish Heritage
- DNA, Discovery and Functions
- Types of DNA tests
- DNA testing companies
- Y-chromosome and Father's Ancestral Line
- Mitochondrial DNA and Mother's Ancestral Line
- DNA and Ethnicity