Irish Surname - Fenton
Origin of the Surname Fenton
The Irish surname Fenton is derived from the Gaelic name Ó Fionnachta, which means 'descendant of Fionnachta.' The name Fionnachta itself is a combination of the elements 'fionn,' meaning 'fair or white,' and 'achta,' meaning 'action or feat.' The Fenton surname is predominantly found in the province of Munster, with a particular concentration in County Cork.
Interesting People with the Surname Fenton
- Brian Fenton is an accomplished Irish Gaelic footballer who plays for the Dublin senior football team and his club team, Raheny. Fenton has been a key player for Dublin since making his debut in 2015, helping the team win multiple All-Ireland Senior Football Championships. His exceptional performances have earned him several individual awards, including multiple All-Star awards and the 2018 Footballer of the Year.
- Siobhán Fenton is an Irish journalist and author who has covered a variety of topics, including politics, culture, and social issues. She has written for major publications such as The Guardian, The Independent, and The Irish Times.
Variations of the Surname Fenton
- Fenton - The most common variation of the surname, derived from the Gaelic Ó Fionnachta.
- O'Fenton - A variation that includes the prefix "O" to indicate descent from Fionnachta.
- Ó Fionnachta - The original Gaelic form of the surname.
Coat of Arms and Motto
As with many Irish surnames, it is difficult to pinpoint a specific coat of arms or motto for the Fenton surname. Coats of arms and mottos were typically granted to individuals and their families rather than entire surnames. Therefore, there may be multiple coats of arms and mottos associated with different branches of the Fenton family. If you are interested in a particular Fenton family's coat of arms and motto, it is best to research their specific lineage and history.
There is often limited information available on a specific coat of arms and motto for an Irish surname. Sometimes there are many variations, sometimes none, we have compiled a representative, but by no means exhaustive, selection. Please visit our Coat of Arms and Motto page for more information.
DNA And Your Irish Roots
- DNA and your Irish Heritage
- DNA, Discovery and Functions
- Types of DNA tests
- DNA testing companies
- Y-chromosome and Father's Ancestral Line
- Mitochondrial DNA and Mother's Ancestral Line
- DNA and Ethnicity