Irish Surname - Furey
Origin of the Irish surname Furey
The Irish surname Furey is an anglicized version of the Gaelic name "Ó Fuaráin" or "Ó Fuartháin," which are derived from the words "fuar" meaning "cold" and "án" meaning "little." The surname originated in County Galway, Ireland, and was associated with the Uí Maine, a significant tribal grouping in the area. The Furey family initially held significant power and influence, but over time, their influence waned as other families gained prominence.
Interesting People with the Surname Furey
- Finbar Furey is an Irish musician, singer, and songwriter. Born in Dublin in 1946, he is a prominent figure in the Irish folk music scene. Finbar is known for his work with his brothers in the band The Fureys, as well as his successful solo career.
- Eddie Furey is an Irish folk musician and a founding member of the popular Irish band, The Fureys. Born in 1947 in Dublin, he is known for his expertise in playing various instruments, including the guitar, banjo, and mandolin.
- George Furey is another member of The Fureys, an Irish folk band. He plays several instruments, including the banjo, guitar, and bodhrán. Together with his brothers, he has contributed to the success and popularity of the group.
- Paul Furey was an Irish musician and a member of The Fureys. He was born in 1950 and passed away in 2002. Paul was known for his skills on the accordion and keyboard, as well as his vocals.
- Ted Furey was the father of the Furey brothers and an accomplished fiddle and uilleann pipes player. He passed on his love of Irish traditional music to his sons, laying the foundation for their successful careers in folk music.
Variations of the Irish Surname Furey
- Furey - The most common variation of the surname.
- Fury - A phonetic variation of Furey, sometimes found in historical records.
- Ó Fuaráin - The original Gaelic version of the name.
- Ó Fuartháin - Another Gaelic variation of the name.
Coat of Arms and Motto of the Irish Surname Furey
There is no specific coat of arms or motto associated with the Furey surname. In general, Irish families did not place as much emphasis on heraldry compared to their English counterparts.
There is often limited information available on a specific coat of arms and motto for an Irish surname. Sometimes there are many variations, sometimes none, we have compiled a representative, but by no means exhaustive, selection. Please visit our Coat of Arms and Motto page for more information.
DNA And Your Irish Roots
- DNA and your Irish Heritage
- DNA, Discovery and Functions
- Types of DNA tests
- DNA testing companies
- Y-chromosome and Father's Ancestral Line
- Mitochondrial DNA and Mother's Ancestral Line
- DNA and Ethnicity