Irish Surname - Hanson
Origin of the Irish surname Hanson
The Irish surname Hanson is believed to be of Anglo-Norman origin, derived from the given name "Johannes" or "John," which means "God is gracious." The surname was created by adding the suffix "-son" to the given name, indicating "son of John." In Ireland, the surname Hanson was adopted by some native Irish families as an anglicized form of their Gaelic surnames. The Hansons are primarily found in the province of Ulster, particularly in counties Antrim and Down.
Interesting People with the Surname Hanson
- Pamela Hanson is a renowned fashion and celebrity photographer known for her work in magazines such as Vogue, Vanity Fair, and Harper's Bazaar. She has captured portraits of many prominent personalities and has also directed commercials and short films.
- Pauline Hanson is an Australian politician who has been a senator representing Queensland since 2016. She is the founder and leader of the right-wing populist party One Nation, which focuses on issues such as immigration and nationalism.
- Chris Hanson is a former professional golfer from England who played on the European Tour. He has won several tournaments throughout his career and achieved his highest world ranking of 342 in 2016.
- Jim Hanson is an Irish author, screenwriter, and playwright known for his work in various genres, including crime fiction, drama, and children's literature. His notable works have been adapted into successful films and television series.
- Mack Hanson was born on April 15, 1998, in Australia. Before making his professional debut, he represented Australia at the U20 level, playing in the 2018 World Rugby U20 Championship. Hanson's performances at the age-grade level caught the attention of the ACT Brumbies, and he subsequently joined their squad.
During his time with the Brumbies, Hanson played a crucial role in their success, including a memorable last-minute match-winning try against the Queensland Reds in the Super Rugby AU in 2020. His strong performances in the domestic league helped him secure a move to Connacht Rugby in Ireland.
Since joining Connacht, Hanson has continued to impress, showcasing his speed, agility, and try-scoring ability. His performances have endeared him to the Connacht fans and earned him a reputation as a talented young player in European rugby. After gaining eligibility to play for Ireland, Hanson has gone on to represent the Irish national team, further showcasing his skills on the international stage.
As he continues to develop, it is expected that Mack Hanson will contribute to the success of both Connacht Rugby and the Irish national team, becoming an influential player in both squads.
Variations of the Irish Surname Hanson
- Hansen is a variation of the surname Hanson, which is more common in Scandinavian countries.
- Hansson is another variation of the surname, particularly found in Sweden.
- Mac Eoinín is the Irish Gaelic equivalent of the surname, which was sometimes anglicized as Hanson.
Coat of Arms and Motto of the Irish Surname Hanson
There is no specific coat of arms or motto associated with the Irish surname Hanson.
There is often limited information available on a specific coat of arms and motto for an Irish surname. Sometimes there are many variations, sometimes none, we have compiled a representative, but by no means exhaustive, selection. Please visit our Coat of Arms and Motto page for more information.
DNA And Your Irish Roots
- DNA and your Irish Heritage
- DNA, Discovery and Functions
- Types of DNA tests
- DNA testing companies
- Y-chromosome and Father's Ancestral Line
- Mitochondrial DNA and Mother's Ancestral Line
- DNA and Ethnicity