Irish Surname - Harrington
Origin of the Irish surname Harrington
The Irish surname Harrington is of Anglo-Norman origin and was introduced to Ireland following the Norman invasion in the 12th century. The name is derived from the Old English "Hæferingtūn," meaning "the settlement of Hæfer's people." In Ireland, the Harringtons primarily settled in County Cork, particularly in the area known as the Barony of Beara. Over time, the family established themselves as prominent landowners and members of the local aristocracy. Today, the Harrington surname can be found throughout Ireland as well as in other countries with large Irish diaspora populations, such as the United States, Canada, and Australia.
Interesting People with the Surname Harrington
- Kit Harington is an English actor best known for his role as Jon Snow in the popular HBO series Game of Thrones. He has also appeared in several films, including Pompeii, Testament of Youth, and The Death and Life of John F. Donovan.
- Desmond Harrington is an American actor who has appeared in numerous television series and films, including Dexter, Gossip Girl, and The Dark Knight Rises.
- Padraig Harrington is an Irish professional golfer who has won three major championships, including two British Opens and a PGA Championship. He has represented Europe in multiple Ryder Cup competitions and has been ranked as one of the top golfers in the world. See more information on Padraig Harrington.
- Michael Harrington was an American political writer, social activist, and democratic socialist. He is best known for his book The Other America, which played a significant role in shaping the United States' War on Poverty in the 1960s.
Variations of the Irish Surname Harrington
- Harrington is the most common spelling of the surname, but it can also be found with variations such as Harington, Hetherington, and Harrinton.
Coat of Arms and Motto of the Irish Surname Harrington
The Harrington coat of arms features a silver shield with three gold torteaux (circular shapes) and a red chief (horizontal band across the top of the shield). The Harrington family crest displays a black lion's head with a gold collar. The motto associated with the Harrington surname is "Nodo Firmo," which translates to "With a firm knot" in Latin, symbolizing unity and loyalty.
There is often limited information available on a specific coat of arms and motto for an Irish surname. Sometimes there are many variations, sometimes none, we have compiled a representative, but by no means exhaustive, selection. Please visit our Coat of Arms and Motto page for more information.
DNA And Your Irish Roots
- DNA and your Irish Heritage
- DNA, Discovery and Functions
- Types of DNA tests
- DNA testing companies
- Y-chromosome and Father's Ancestral Line
- Mitochondrial DNA and Mother's Ancestral Line
- DNA and Ethnicity