Irish Surname - Keane
Origin of the Irish surname Keane
The Irish surname Keane has its origins in the Gaelic name "Ó Catháin," which means "descendant of Cathán." It is a common surname in Ireland, particularly in the province of Munster, with strong associations in County Kerry. The name Keane can also be found in other parts of Ireland and has spread throughout the world due to emigration.
Keane is an anglicized form of the original Gaelic name, reflecting the phonetic adaptation from Irish to English. The Keane surname has deep roots in Irish history and is associated with several prominent families and clans in County Kerry.
The surname Keane is ranked as the 35th most common surname in Ireland.
Interesting People with the Surname Keane
Here we just highlight two of Ireland's successful soccer player.
- Roy Keane is a former professional footballer from Cork, Ireland, known for his time as a midfielder with Manchester United and the Republic of Ireland national team. He was a dominant force in midfield, renowned for his leadership, tenacity, and technical skills. Following his playing career, Keane transitioned into coaching and punditry. See more information on Roy Keane
- Robbie Keane from Dublin, Ireland, is one of the most prolific and beloved footballers in Irish history. Known for his exceptional goal-scoring ability, technical skills, and charismatic personality, Keane had an illustrious career playing for both club and country. See more information on Robbie Keane
Variations of the Irish Surname Keane
- O'Kane is a common variation of the Irish surname Keane. It represents an alternative anglicized form of the original Gaelic name "Ó Catháin" and is associated with families primarily in Northern Ireland.
- Kane is another variation of the surname Keane, often found outside of Ireland, particularly in the United States and Canada. The name evolved through emigration and anglicization of the original Gaelic name.
Coat of Arms and Motto of the Irish Surname Keane
The specific Coat of Arms and motto associated with the Irish surname Keane can vary depending on the individual family history and lineage.
There is often limited information available on a specific coat of arms and motto for an Irish surname. Sometimes there are many variations, sometimes none, we have compiled a representative, but by no means exhaustive, selection. Please visit our Coat of Arms and Motto page for more information.
DNA And Your Irish Roots
- DNA and your Irish Heritage
- DNA, Discovery and Functions
- Types of DNA tests
- DNA testing companies
- Y-chromosome and Father's Ancestral Line
- Mitochondrial DNA and Mother's Ancestral Line
- DNA and Ethnicity